I loved this episode. Even the last week’s highlights section felt like a very fast pace as if preparing us for the urgency of what is to come.
I also loved the war is war comparison. From the Jacobite Rebellion to WWII and even the Gaelic singing at the very beginning had a somewhat Native American sound to me, I felt that Matt Roberts (great writing again, Matt!) tried to show that men preparing for battle go through the same things.
PTSD Claire was a surprise because I hadn’t realized she’d done more than field hospital work. It was yet another reminder that war is the same at its essence.
I managed to go four paragraphs without raving about Sam. This episode underscored the “He’s the man he was meant to be”. So many things I observed watching with bleary eyes on my ipad. I canna wait to watch it again Friday night on a larger screen.
- Sam still does a great job with his left hand in the injured position. I know it’s a small thing but it so impresses me.
- I love how he wore the Laird’s coat during his troop rally speech.
- Standing up to Dougal, giving out punishment when it was due, taking it as well. He showed all signs of a leader here and his men saw it. Well written and well acted.
- COMMANDO? Yes, Jam that’s what it is called and you’ve been going commando for awhile now. Oh, you meant commando raid? Love the black eyes, his real eyes popped right out through the camouflage. I wonder if they will play hide the commando in full face paint when things calm down. I know I would.
- Minor point but I loved the color of his hair in this episode
- I also loved how he gave his men his full name to get the MacKenzie connection
Other random observations since this is just a wee cap and not a full recap
Full Metal Murtagh
Fergus: Mom! Dad! equivalent and how he called for Claire first
Young William Grey. The ForeShadow Knows. There was a grand canyon worth of foreshadowing there but non-book readers will think he’s just another character to come in and out.
Willie got married? I wonder if they just cut the part since he’s not in the books or if the actor had other obligations. I wanted more Rupert!
Claire’s fuck yourself speech to Dougal was classic.
I loved how Claire emphasized the word “sadist” before starting her next fake performance and Jamie caught on right away. It really shows once again how in tune they are with each other. I want to watch that fight over again, their looks between them were great. And I’m glad that he didn’t rip her bodice off. See, Diana. There are ways to get your point across without pretending to rape someone.
THIS is the Outlander that everyone came to love last year (minus sexy times but Jamie was sexy as hell) and #SexisComing
Return to @cb4tb blog